May 23, 2012

In Transition



I thought I would share a shot of the living room with the newly painted white walls.  I am not as excited as I would have hoped. Why? Because I had NO IDEA how changing the walls from a beigy color to white would make such a drastic change!  My room went from warm to way cool ( not the "cool" kind of cool either.)  My whole house has a warm tone to it and painting the walls white seemed to really change the whole feel of the room.  I am not saying I don't like it, I'm just saying I am now in transition.  I did not think that changing the wall color meant I now see accessories, such as pillows and wall art that needs some tweaking. 
I need to tell you guys that normally I am really decisive and like what my gut tells me when it comes to decorating my home.  I have wanted the living room white forever and now that it is, I am second guessing myself. 

What I learned from this....

Paint can change everything, make sure you are up for a decorating challenge after painting and I personally don't like the transition period in decorating a room.  I feel unbalanced.  Hopefully I can find my balance in yoga tonight.

This doesn't mean I am not up for the challenge! I will be back soon with the tweaks I have in mind for making this room warm right up.

Be Well,
Heather

11 comments:

  1. Love the white, I have almost painted every room in my house white with the exception of just a couple of rooms...and even those are very neutral, great choice on the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I've knottiest about all the rooms I love with white walls is they have "architectured walls" whether it's the detail in the molding, a tall fig leaf plant, collected photo's. They all just seem like they are broken up by pieces if that makes sence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never question your instincts. Your emotions are always right. If your gut feeling tells you this is off, perhaps painting the walls over with a warmer tone might not be a bad idea? Then again, after tweaking with accessories you might find that this whitewash brought with it a fresh whitewash and it feels airier, better... how wonderful. Whatever, go with the gut.
    Whichever way, your home is lovely already and you and your family deserve its fabulousity fully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just by looking at your picture, I like it. I think some wall decor (art, curtains, etc.) will lessen the 'whiteness' of the wall. Live w/it for a while and see what it happens. I need to go find a picture of what your room looked like before you painted the walls white.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, I think I found a picture of what your room looked like before - the 'Now' photo in this post (http://mymanymoments.blogspot.com/2012/02/then-and-now.html)? And, I have to say I like the 'white' walls b/c it has more contrast. But, I'm all about contrast these days....have you seen the home of heidi merrick - white walls galore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the white and understand that it takes some getting used to. Kinda like changing your hair color and feeling like a whole new wardrobe is in order (been there). Which white did you use?

    BTW, I agree with Fran about contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will look great, just give it some time! Just looking at the one photo, the couch & table with the lamp on it has great contrast but the chair is getting washed out... do you have a forest green or barn red throw for it? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like what I see in the photo - it's probably a huge change for you. But you've got a great mix of materials, metals, and textures going on - I think it's going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You already know I like it, but just had to chime in and tell you that I agree with what everyone else already said!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for taking the time to let it grow on you, and to get the room to work around it. I freak out when it's not right right away, like Rene said, just like with a new haircut! I'm sure you're goign to find the right mix in the room to make the walls feel great in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it makes you feel any better - I am still getting use to the color I painted my kitchen a few months ago. I wanted it for seven years before I finally got the go ahead from the hubs. But, it is still taking some getting use to. And I do this for a living! I have re-arranged and created new artwork for the entire kitchen/breakfast room space. Just now starting to feel warmer and like I imagined it to be. So, I know you can do it. Just starting working on accessorizing it! M.

    ReplyDelete